Highlights from “Big Publicity Ideas for Small Business” Webinar featuring Peter Shankman.
Posted by gurnage
PRWeb’s “Big Publicity Ideas for Small Business” webinar featuring Peter Shankman was a fast paced, entertaining ride that packed more punch than Kool-Aid Man himself.
- Unless PR (or marketing, advertising, etc.) is generating revenue, it’s not worth it.
- Don’t let budget constraints keep you from a great idea.
- If a funeral home can actively use social media and make it relevant, you have no excuse.
- SEO is not utilized by small businesses and it should be. People are searching – you should be there.
- You need to talk TO the audience, not AT them. This is true in social media as well as in marketing and PR. I would also say talk WITH them.
- Treat customers well and they will tell the world how great you are. Make them feel they cut the line and have special access.
- Ask your audience how they want to receive information and then do that.
- When pitching media, do not say in the email subject line “Quick question for you.” There are no quick questions and they are busy.
- Know your audience, keep the pitch short, use trends.
- Journalists are busy. Give them helpful information and make their job easier. Offer your network as sources.
- Ask “what’s in it for me?” from your audience and the media’s perspective. Provide value and you will build loyalty. Loyalty brings revenue.
- When MTV was a music channel, the average attention span in the 80s was three minutes. Now it is 2.7 seconds!
- Learn to write. Good writing is brevity. Bad writing has the potential to destroy your business. Social media requires that you write better.
I searched for other summaries of the webinar and only found one. Amy has good points about the webinar and wrote about it in her post “The Peter Shankman School for Kids Who Can’t Write Good.”
One other great site for getting publicity is Peter’s Help A Reporter Out. Sign up – it’s free – and journalists send their queries for upcoming stories. Remember the advice here if you send a pitch! Enjoy and good luck small businesses everywhere!
Posted on February 24, 2011, in press release, public relations, social media, social networks, Uncategorized and tagged haro, help a reporter out, peter shankman, pr, prweb, public relations, publicity, small business, webinar. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.